Friday, September 7, 2007

A Costume as Promised and an Update on the Hunt

Well, after my momentary lapse in costume confidence, the perfect pair of sunglasses and some hints from the fairy bagmother sparked a new willingness in me. It was just a weak moment. : )
The sunglasses are wonderful. They are mossimo, from Target and at just fifteen dollars they were the only shape that fits my face and just right for my costume. They are tortoiseshell and very glamorous and every time I wear them I want to start saying things like, "Do you think she's wildly attractive," and, "Thursday! It's too gruesome, it can't be!" Anyway, here they are in all their wayfaring glory. I do love a classic.Next on the agenda is the cigarette holder that I found a few months ago in a neighboring town and am debating whether or not to drive two hours to get it, because it really is one of the greatest things I think I could ever possess. It's wonderful.

As promised, another costume idea. This one was personally tried out by me and a friend who decided one day to race through a vintage store and put together a costume for oursleves as quickly as possible. It was great fun but the results and the pictures were even better.
So here it is, directly from my childhood, a costume that will win over the hearts of everyone, especially if you are the resident babysitter in your friend's world like I am. They'll smile at this.

Mary Poppins.

Clothes: Her shirt is a high collared white shirt with or without ruffles down the front but preferably with. Around the neck a red ribbon tied in a simple, small, discreet bow is perfect. Next, a grey or black pencil skirt which could be found anywhere from goodwill to a department store.

Coat: The one I'm wearing pictured here is nothing like any of the ones from the movie but looks as though I stole it off the set because of the fur. It's fake of course but it buttons down the front, isn't too frumpy, but most certainly is not fitted. That simply wasn't the style of coat a nanny wore back then.

Hat: This hat is really easy. Just find a black or possibly very dark brown rimmed hat. The rim should be short and the material really doesn't matter, because with hot glue you can cover most of the base with fake flowers. Any will do to make you look like Mary but the best are small and white and red, with some berries mixed in and maybe one large poppy.

Bag: This is simple. A bag is all it takes, but like she says in the movie, it must be carpet. You can find one at a goodwill for next to nothing because they aren't in style. It really should be big but doesn't have to be. The one in my picture below is small but was the only carpet bag I could find in the store. You'll probably have more to work with.

Accessories: And last but not least, little things. some plain white or lace-edged short gloves are wonderful. Hair should be in a tight bun that is loose in the front, put it up and then pull the bun upwards to loosen it in the right place. Glasses aren't needed but, as long as they aren't trendy or frumpy, they work. Shoes could be any flat you could find that matches the rest of your outfit, but should be as old-fashioned as possible to avoid total decade confusion. I always loved the idea of a measuring tape (practically perfect in every way or course) , A spoon that's not quite full of sugar, but close enough, or even a little fake robin to perch on your shoulder. Finally, you can't forget the famous umbrella. Any will do although I think hers was blue or green but the only way to make this costume practically perfect in every way is to try to find one that has a parrot handle.

No wonder that its Mary that we love.

And here's my impromptu dress up, I took my face out just because the page is public and its a really bad (not to mention slightly embarrassing) picture of me... : P

3 comments:

G.G. said...

"When the day is gray and ordinary, Mary makes the sun shine bright!" You got me singing all the songs. That was one of my favorite movies (and series of books) when I was little. Congrats on the sunglasses!I saw the same sunglasses at Target--I bought the HUGE Mossimos instead (like the ones Catherine Malandrino wore on the river boat in last season's Project Runway). I debated a long time though. You still have almost two months to Halloween, I'm sure you can pull it off :)

G.G. said...

Okay, found something for you:

Audrey dress on eBay, closes in 4 days, currently $28:
Vintage costume

G.G. said...

Hey, did a post on the costume, plus you can order that cigarette holder for $1.99 if you still need it

Audrey Hepburn for Halloween