Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Some Steals from the City

Yeah, its been a month, but don't judge me, the craziness of my family opening a restuarant and having to work everyday has been a lot to handle. So, in light of my putting off posting about my trip, since my trip, I'll start from the beginning.

Alright, so after a long flight to houston, a long drive to austin, a flight to NYC, and a long drive to the hamptons in an insane amount of traffic amid bentleys and ferraris (gasp), we arrived. The town of bridge hampton was amazing (although slightly not my style). The starbucks within walking distance of the house and Calivin Klien's home (complete with two story shark tank) as seen from the other side of a six foot hedge, were definite pluses, but sad to say, the shopping was not. I enjoying looking, but the prices were crazy, understandably so, but still. Not only did the sight of my friend and I make the shop owners nervous, but the prices of their merchandise made us queasy. I have no problem with high fashion, in fact, I live for it, but passing off beachy-style boutique clothing for a few thousand dollars a shirt and calling it true couture, is not something I would ever live for , even if I could afford it. I would rather go to college.

Usually I wouldn't bother typing an ill word about any business but seeing as that some very ill words were shouted at me in the anne moore hat shop for laying a finger on a horse hair hat I was encouraged to try on, I will say that if you venture there, beware, the "oils from you greasy hands will ruin the hat!" My oily hands resent that remark. ; )

More my style were these patent leather blue ballet flats (below). No, I did not cough up two hundred dollars in the pricey vintage store where betsey johnson and isaac mizrahi frequent. I found them next door in the church thrift store for five dollars. I was very proud and I donated.

Next, in my favorite designer discount store, I found some rampage flats that screamed at me off the shelf as something I had seen in the newest Elle Accessories (top). They weren't the beautiful Miu Miu flats (bleow) in the magazine but they were very very close not only to those but also to these Devi Kroell flats on the same page (left).

Another thing worth mentioning. I found the Carolina Herrera glasses that I (lovingly) ripped off, in the same magazine in red lace. I'm obsessed. Oh, and here on the right is a bangle I found in a city thrift store for two dollars.

I finally found my faux Chanel wallet and some Chanel rhinestone earrings and matching necklace (left with some other things I created) that matches almost anything. I found someone in town who has a business going up to New York and bringing back genuinly good quality knock-offs. I already found a favorite of mine, a please return to tiffany and co. heart shaped necklace.

And last but not least , speaking of tiffany's, I go to a halloween party every year and creative costumes are a big part of the night. I have decided, in light of the exploding Holly Golightly fever that I will be Audrey in her iconic role. However, I will not only imitate the look generically, I'm going all out. I think I'll alter a dress to be identical and everything. Let the hunt begin, more on that later.

4 comments:

emsie said...

thanks for the comment ;)

i love all the accessories there!
and those shoes are lovely :)

xe

G.G. said...

Fab idea to go as Audrey! Are you going to put the highlights in your hair she had in "Tiffany's"? I would check eBay for the long cigarette holder, if you're going all out. And Hats.com had a perfect hat a few months ago--but eBay would be cheaper if you can find one there. I can't wait to see the pictures!

G.G. said...

I forgot to say, you've probably figured out your makeup already, but if you didn't, see my post on Audrey Hepburn Makeup Step-by-Step

Kori said...

those turqoise flats - amazing!